Friday, September 24, 2010

Mike & Molly Review



The new CBS series Mike & Molly did not live up to the laugh-out loud-expectations I have come to count on from a series produced by Chuck Lorre, as series such as The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men led me to look for nothing but laughs from Mike & Molly.

However, with Mike & Molly it seems the show focused too much on the fat jokes and almost every attempt at humor revolved around endless barbs about the obese. At times the series did have a laugh or two. But, was it enough to keep viewers coming back? I mean, how long will a series be able to last when the whole premise is about making fun of overweight people? My hope for the series is that it will branch out with more interesting and funnier storylines.

What I liked most about the series was the lead character of Molly (Melissa McCarthy), her family – which consisted of her mother and sister – and well, that’s about it.

Mike & Molly, a series set in Chicago, is about a police officer and a fourth grade teacher who finds love at their Overeaters Anonymous meeting. While they may have found love at their Overeaters Anonymous meeting, Mike and Molly must deal with criticism and constant jokes from his partner, her attractive sister, her mother, and a Senegalese waiter at the cops’ favorite restaurant.

The series stars Billy Gardell (My Name is Earl), Melissa McCarthy (Gilmore Girls), Katy Mixon (Four Christmases), Swoosie Kurtz (Pushing Daisies), and Reno Wilson (Blind Justice).

I have yet to decide if I will delete Mike & Molly from my DVR schedule. I will at least give it a few more episodes to see if there is any potential in the series before I give up all hope on the series.

Mike & Molly airs Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS.

Written by: Aaron Wallis
Photo Credit: CBS Television Network

No comments:

Post a Comment